I don’t want to talk to strangers. I’m an introvert, and making the effort to engage in social interactions makes me tired. But I’m doing it. Not because I feel like I should, but because although it can be exhausting, it is also invigorating. Connecting with new people or even people you know but haven’t met before is how connections are made, friendships develop, and business partners and clients are discovered. Love it or hate it, chatting with people and making small talk is an important skill if you want to communicate with strangers IRL instead of just through social media DMs and texts. But just because it’s important doesn’t mean it’s a natural skill that everyone has. If you are wondering how to have meaningful conversationsThat’s where the real conversation comes in.
To help you start a conversation that goes beyond small talk, you need to have a few good conversation starters at your disposal. And because I also like curiosity to have a few great conversation starters in my pocket to inspire memorable and inspire conversation regardless of the situation, I did the job so you don’t. Here are 150+ great conversation starters for every situation.
150 great conversation starters
We find ourselves in many different situations throughout our lives that require different ways to start a conversation. So, I’ve divided this list into different types of good conversation starters to help you find them the best discussion topic you may want to add to your list.
Conversation starters are easy
Sometimes we need a strong way to start the conversation. Next time you want something simple, try these.
- I like you (insert whatever the person has in them or he in them). Where did you get it?
- Are you a coffee or tea drinker?
- What’s your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
- What are you reading now?
- What was the last show you bigged?
- What is your comfort level?
- What’s the best concert you’ve been to?
- What podcasts do you like to listen to?
- Do you have a favorite game?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Do you have any pets?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Do you like chocolate or vanilla?
- Are you a sweet or spicy person?
- Which sports team do you root for?
- Are you a river person or a mountain person?
- Do you have any trips coming up?
- Which hotels do you recommend for out-of-town guests?
- What was the first phone you owned?
- What is one app on your phone that you use the most?
- What was the last photo you took on your phone?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- What are your kids interested in right now?
- Where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world paying all the bills?
- Would you rather have a chauffeur or a chef as a gift for a month?
- What do you like most about homework?
- What was the last thing you bought on Amazon?
- What was your favorite purchase last year?
Start a deeper conversation
With the right audience, deep conversation starters are a valuable way to get into a great conversation.
- What advice would you give your 22-year-old self?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What advice would you give to your own child?
- If you could change one thing about how you were raised what would it be?
- What are the main memories from your childhood?
- Do you have siblings? What are the strengths and what kind of work do you do?
What was one thing that surprised you from childhood?
- What is one thing that used to be insecure and now you love yourself?
- If money is not a concern, how will you spend your good days?
- Education, experience, and money aside, what is your dream job?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- What are you struggling with now?
- What is one thing you are grateful for right now?
- If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
- What motivates you?
- If you are frozen early, when do you want to be thawed?
- If someone came to you for advice, what would the topic be?
- Biggest difference between your current decade and the previous one?
- What compliments have you received that really stuck with you?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, with the caveat that it couldn’t be anything physical, what would it be?
- When was the last time you cried?
Discussion starters for text
Not all conversations are spontaneous. And while AIM is no exception (am I kidding myself?), texting is. If you’ve exchanged numbers with someone after a successful first meeting and you don’t know where to start the next conversation, try these fun conversation starters.
- I want to know your thoughts on… *insert subject*
- You won’t believe what happened! *insert story*
- This is random, but *insert story*
- Do you have any *insert topic* suggestions?
- How did *insert topic* go? (try to relate things to your own conversation)
- I have nothing to watch, any advice?
- What are your most used emojis?
- If you had to pick a song to describe your vibe what would it be?
- What was your favorite part of the day?
- What is your green flag?
- Do you have any plans for this weekend?
- How many photos are in your camera roll?
- What is your favorite local restaurant?
Job interview starters
You may need a good conversation starter at the office, in an interview, or even while working in the community. Or maybe you’re looking for network communication startup for your next event. No matter where you use them, do your best to make the conversation professional.
- What did you do this weekend?
- Are you currently working on an exciting project?
- What’s the best thing you’ve ever done in a game?
- What do you like to listen to while you work?
- Do you prefer a standing chair or a chair?
- What is your Starbucks order?
- What was your first job?
- What’s the best professional development book you’ve read?
- What is your favorite work-related podcast?
- What art group are you currently working on?
- If you could work from anywhere, where would you work?
- What is your desk should have?
- What’s the best career advice you’ve ever received?
- What do you enjoy most about working at your current company?
- What’s the most fun networking event you’ve attended?
- How does your team measure success?
Family conversation starters
Conversations with family can feel good and warm (or at least that’s my hope for you). If you’re on good terms with your loved ones, it’s fun to keep the conversation flowing with questions centered on your family, past gatherings, and memories. is interesting.
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your favorite family gathering that you have attended?
- What’s the best thing you’ve ever experienced?
- What was your favorite movie from childhood?
- If you were stuck in an elevator full of your family members, how many of the five people would you want to be with?
- What is your favorite subject in school and why?
- Who has a positive influence on your life but doesn’t know it?
- Who is your favorite family member to cook?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What were your parents like when they were your age?
- How has our family changed over the years?
- What do you want us to do more of as a family?
- If budget wasn’t an issue, what would your dream family vacation be?
- What are you proud of?
- What’s the best advice you’ve given this year?
- What is the best thing about our family?
- If you could have any power, what would it be?
- What has changed the most about me since I was a child?
- What are you glad I inherited?
- If you could turn back one moment from the past year, what would it be?
- What gift did you really want as a child but never got?
- If we were to compete as a family, which Olympics do you think we could qualify for?
- If our family had a reality show, what would it be called?
Funny conversation starters on dates
You’re in gear and you’re all tired Disappointing conversation starters? Or you are looking for a way to update yours first day question? Don’t worry. Try a few of these while dating.
- What was the first thing you noticed about me?
- What is your story?
- What are you looking for in a partner?
- What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to learn how to do?
- What are you going to sing karaoke?
- If you could be anyone for a day who would you be and why?
- If you had to give your childhood advice, what would it be?
- What would be your theme song if you had to choose one song to play every time you walked into the room?
- What’s the worst day you’ve ever had?
- What is your biggest trigger?
- If you took someone on a tour of your town, where would you take them and why?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- What is the best quality in a person?
- Who was your first kiss and what was the story behind it?
- What is your love language?
- What can you talk about forever?
- Are you the type to make friends first?
- How many times have you been in love?
Party Conversation Starters
When it’s time to start the party, you can use a fun and exciting conversation starter. Try doing a few of these at your next session.
- How do you know a visitor?
- What will you drink?
- If you want to have fun, what’s the first thing you do?
- When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed your pants? What happened?
- If you were a dog, what kind would you be and why?
- What will be the title of your biography?
- If you could act in a movie or television show right now, what show would it be?
- If you were to do a movie within a movie, who would you want to be your costar?
- What movie where you loved the original, but hated the sequel?
- If you could host any reality show, what would it be and why?
- What is your real wife tag?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- What song will be played on the loop in hell?
- If you were blind and could go anywhere, where would you go?
- What would you bring if you were stranded on an island and could only bring three things for fun?
- What’s your biggest Googled disappointment?
- What is the most famous crime story in your town?
- What’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever done?
- What words do you always misspell?
- What products can you be a spokesperson for?
- If you could have any talent, what would it be and why?
- If you could build your dream home tomorrow, where would it be, and what must you have for the design?
Travel discussion starters
Is there anything more fun than traveling with good friends? If you’re traveling with someone, I’d like to think you’re already familiar. And if you want to learn something interesting and new about each other, try these questions.
- What’s the best trip you’ve taken?
- What trip have you wanted to take but haven’t had a chance to?
- How many states and cities have you visited?
- Who are your favorites on Spotify?
- What should you eat for your last meal?
- If you could get tickets to any concert, whether the singer/artist was dead or alive, who would it be?
- What is your favorite gas station snack?
- What personal goals are you trying to achieve?
- What three words best describe you?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- What music did you hear in high school?
- What song would you choose if you had to listen to one song for the entire car ride?
- Who is your role model?
- Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
- Who is your current favorite celebrity, and who was your first favorite?
- If you could subscribe to and watch one streaming service for the rest of the year, which one would you choose?
- If you were to become immortal, how old would you like to be when you stopped aging?